Rizza Marie P.
North house

Topic: Health Care: Activity coordinator
Essential Question: What is the most important skill of a successful elder care activity coordinator ?


Saturday, October 15, 2011

Blog # 7: Independent Component 1 Plan Approval

1. I plan to take a college general Psychology class at Cal Poly this winter. If the class happened to be full and not accept me, I plan to do my independent component in my Service learning.

2. Most of the class in Cal Poly last for 2 hrs and meets two times a week. They also have 2 mid terms and final which last for 2-3 hrs depending on how much the teacher gives. The readings and homework would probably take 5-8 hrs in total. It would give me about 31-37 hrs of work. If I didn't get into  college class, I'm planning to  add 30-40 hrs on my working hours in the service learning which is which gives me about 80-90 hrs of work. I will try and explore other jobs at the elderly facility as I work there.

3. If I got the college class which is psychology, it can help me explain what the behavioral process of human being. It relates to my EQ because if I know how to deal with the behaviors of the patients then it would for me to approach it with the right skills. If I add component work (about 30-40 hrs), to the hours that I'll be working at elderly facility (50 hrs of service learning), then its more likely for me to understand and adopt the approach that the staffs use on elderly patients. I can also experiment and apply my own skills and see if it works or not.

1 comment:

  1. I actually like the increase in service learning hours better...maybe along with reading some sections on psychology of aging and then applying them to situations you come across in the facility. You would need a minimum of 40 hours by mid January to make this work for both Service Learning and one IC (and you'd need 50 more hours by May). Anyhow, I'd like a log of what you did with your time and your reflections. Some pics and video would also be nice.

    ReplyDelete