Rizza Marie P.
North house

Topic: Health Care: Activity coordinator
Essential Question: What is the most important skill of a successful elder care activity coordinator ?


Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blog # 18: The Product

"Being able to treat the senior parents the same manner that I treat my family and friends" is my product. It's because in my service learning, I get to volunteer at an elderly facility (about 4 months ago). At first, I was really distant to the senior patients. I never really cared to them as much as I cared for them now. The way I joked with them and them telling stories to me made me become closer to them. Now, every weekend, I always look forward to going to the facility as if I'm hanging out with my friends.

I can't really take any video or picture showing senior patients because of the privacy issue. T^T"
In that case, I'll just tell a story that happened last weekend as my evidence:

Last weekend, one of the senior patients named "Elena" gave me apple pie as a thank you. She told me helping them with activities such as BINGO, word games, puzzles, and by talking to them lessen her loneliness. I think she misses her family. She told me that they are so busy that they only visits her once or twice a month despite the fact that her relatives also lives in Pomona. I become her friend/companion she said. She was glad that people like me choose to volunteer to the facility because she said most teens won't even care volunteering at all. Those small talks and companionship with them got me moved.  It changed me because now I care for them as if they are my grandma/grandpa. I always try to cheer them when they feel down and listens to their problems/stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment